Here’s a note: Filipino-style spaghetti is almost always prepared with canned sauces. You can make your own tomato sauce but it the recipe would not be as Filipino as it should be anymore—it would more or less be Italian.
- 1 pack spaghetti
- 1.5 cups banana catsup
- 2 cups tomato sauce*
- 1 cup tomato paste*
- 6 pcs red hot dogs, sliced thinly
- ¼ kl ground lean beef
- ¼ kl ground lean pork
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pack all-purpose cream**
- ½ block butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
*You can use a ready-made Filipino-Style Spaghetti Mix in lieu of tomato paste and sauce.
**You can use 1 small can of evaporated milk instead of cream.
- Prepare spaghetti based on package instructions or until al dente. Refrain from putting too much salt. Wash the pasta with cold water and drain right after.
- Heat a medium-sized pan and place the ground meat. Let the water from the meat evaporate. This should remove any undesirable odor from the meat. Set the partially-cooked meat aside.
- In a separate pan/wok, heat cooking oil. Add the butter and sauté the onion and garlic in medium fire. Make sure not to burn the garlic as it will render a bitter taste to your dish.
- Add the meat and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the hotdogs and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the banana catsup, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add a little water if needed. Lower heat and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the all-purpose cream. Add salt, pepper or sugar according to your preference.
- Arrange pasta on a plate, pour the sauce and sprinkle grated cheese. OR
- Add the pasta on the sauce (still in the pan) and mix well. Transfer the pasta mixture to a serving tray and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Be sure to sign up for the Philippine Traveler newsletter below to receive new Filipino recipes along with stories of our recent adventures, practical travel tips and the latest tour specials.